Tuesday 10 December 2013

Daniel Johnston - " Don't Be Scared " (self released Cassette) 1982

Songs of Pain continued, with more charmingly insular Outsider DIY from Mom's basement, hammered out on an old upright piano. There's a Daniel Johnston in all of us,and his work can be a portal for that.Purge yourself of all self-pity, and ask yourself why you don't lock yourself in a basement churning out endless hours of naively self-analytical ditties. Maybe its because you are 'Normal' and not a bi-polar schizophrenic, so pull yourself together and thank Satan you're not Daniel Johnston.

Side one:

  1. "Going Down" – 2:57
  2. "Lost Without a Dame" – 2:58
  3. "Harley Man" – 2:03
  4. "Something More" – 3:23
  5. "Evening Stars" – 2:04
  6. "Cold Hard World" – 3:10
  7. "I Had a Dream" – 2:40
  8. "The Story of an Artist" – 5:08
  9. "My Yoke Is Heavy" – 5:53
Side two:
  1. "Stars on Parade" – 2:42
  2. "And You Love It" – 4:01
  3. "I Had Lost My Mind" – 1:46
  4. "The Sun Shines Down on Me" – 2:50
  5. "Loner" – 4:09
  6. "Don't Be Scared" – 3:20
  7. "Lullaby" – 3:12
  8. "I Was Alone" – 4:44Link
  9. "Mother Mom Said" – 3:37
Don't be scared Download it HERE

5 comments:

Anischenko said...

Wicked! This guy is fascinatingly weird!

xuma said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing all those glorious jewels from this deranged angel!

Jonny Zchivago said...

My pleasure?
One has noticed thatthere's a lot of Daniel johnston traffic of late....where are you coming from? That is what link did you follow...i'm curious.

Jonny Zchivago said...

Whoops.....just googled him and found out that he's just died. The John Lennon/Elvis syndrome....they only wanna listen after they're gone.

xuma said...

haha, it may seem like that. Just a superficial facination. But not for me. Yes, I came to know about him because of his death, through a post on Instagram. I'm not much of a sane person myself. And I have not felt good for a long time. Finding his music has been balsamic. I felt heavily identified. The voice stopped for a moment and I could breath.

I felt relieved to have discovered him in such circumstances; death is freedom in my opinion.