Monday 21 April 2014

The Petticoats - "The Petticoats" (Bla Bla Bla Records 01`) 1980





A DIY classic recorded at the mecca of 'weird noise', Street Level. Its doesn't say if Grant Showbiz or Kif Kif were at the controls, but its sounds like they were for these three B-sides of sublime year zero pop. German bird,Stef Petticoat plays all the instruments, Mike Oldfield style, and manages to sound uncannily like a proudly untutored group of strangers. The ease in which she totally de-prog's the Who's rock opera classic, 'I'm Free', is beyond admiration; in which you can actually believe that she is Free, as in free from the manacles of rock cliché. ( I never really believed Daltrey when he screeched the same words in Tommy). Also looking at the photo's, she seems to be a bit of a Nutjob, which I like, if genuine.So often they turn out to be University Lecturers or something even more Terrible.( Did you know Genesis P.Orridge was some kind of University Lecturer in History, before TG!...shocking huh?)Link

DOWNLOAD and be Free HERE!

6 comments:

Devyn Smith said...

This looks very promising. I will DL and report!

P.Orridge as a University Lecturer in History is just... fucking appropriate isn't it? After the shock, it's actually not quite shocking and makes a lot of sense.

Devyn Smith said...

how the fuck is it Monday on your end?

everyoneislistening [i.e. Bob Dylarama] said...

Holy shit, this was only her! I had no idea. Pulls it off real good, I guess. . .
More ignorance on my part: I didn't know I'm Free was a cover, not being a who fan, or really, I guess, knowing anything about this release outside it's musical contents.

Jonny Zchivago said...

Its always Monday in my world!

Jonny Zchivago said...

I think P Orridge should do courses in Rock History, so Mr Bob Dylarama can learn about Classic UK Rock. Have you not seen 'Tommy' by Ken Russell? A fine film that includes "I'm free".

Adolf Trotsky said...

At around 16/17 I bought by mail order at the time. Would always add in a little letter with the orders, asking Qs about bands and release. Really lonely in a town that's 99% normies/junkies.

Going to a record shop that wasn't crap meant a train to the city. Gigs too, and because it was pre-internet there was no way of finding out what obscure band was playing where.

One guy doing mail order was really kind. Ended up really good friends with him even though he's 4-5hrs away. He would send me mix tapes of obscurities in his collection and this was at the start of the tape.

Not seen him in TOO LONG but I don't think 3 kids under 10 would appreciate a holiday in Leeds.

Thank you so much for this record.