Thursday 26 July 2018

Various ‎Artists – "East Of Croydon" (Nothing Shaking Records ‎– SHAK 1) 1981



Moving next door to Bromley we have Croydon. There was no Croydon Contingent of attention seeking middle class kids here. Home of the legendary Johnny Moped and the Damneds Captain Sensible, there was a different kind of Punk Rocker from this constituency. A lot sillier and out for fun rather than trying to shock their parents and be cool.The punk uniform for Croydon was still Flares and Tank Tops in 1977, just like us lot north of the watford gap.The realm of outsider punk.
Of course Croydon had to have a local compilation as well as Bromley,but the difference is that this one pisses all over "From Bromley With Love". Whereas the Bromley one trys desperately to appeal to the latest unforgiveable youth cult of  the New Romantics/Futurists, East Of Croydon is just a perfect array of post-punk/proto-indie relevance that would appeal nicely to yer average John Peel listener.
As usual, none of these bands (except maybe the Normil Hawaiians?) were ever heard of again,but we do have the complete works of Greenfield Leisure if you click HERE!

Tracklist:

A1 –Janet Armstrong - Inadequate
A2 –The Heartbeats - Funny Anymore
A3 –The Flips - Schitzo
A4 –The Big Combo - 21 Girls
A5 –Local Heroes SW9 - Another Modern Romance
A6 –Big Hair - Over You
A7 –Bobby Henry - Next Move
B1 –Calling Hearts - In The Jungle
B2 –Kan Kan - Phone Call
B3 –Sir James - The Selection
B4 –Spοοn Fazer - Fly On The Wall
B5 –A Circle Charmed - Henrietta Missing
B6 –Greenfield Leisure - Leisure
B7 –Normil Hawaiians - Dark World


7 comments:

Mark L. said...

Before you move on from the Regional/Compilations I had some requests if you happen to have them to share?

Cigars On Wednesday CS (1980)
The Art Of Solving Problems LP (1980)
Warped Sense Of Human LP (1981)

Other UK you may be looking for let me know and maybe I'll have it..
Cheers, M.

Jonny Zchivago said...

"A Warped Sense Of Human" is scheduled for saturday, but the other two, I don't have.

konrad said...

Except "maybe" the Normil Hawaiians?

Come on...More Wealth Than Money is a double disc classic gem right up there with Umma Gumma and Soft Machine's Third...

Jonny Zchivago said...

I remember regretting buying "MWTM",and hating it. But then again I hated "Ummagumma" and "Third" too, but now i lurve them....so maybe i'll root it out and give it a spin?

konrad said...

Now available as a remastered cd with bonus material:

http://upsettherhythm.bigcartel.com/product/normil-hawaiians-more-wealth-than-money-pre-order

The remaster is well done.

You are a bad man Jonny...a very very bad man. The '70s ware an awful period for music. Ummagumma and Third were high points (and yes I know Umma was '69...close enough for gov't. work) but the charge stands. :)

Listen to Ummagumma, Third and MWTM in order...then tell me you don't hear the symmetry.

Andy Tithesis said...

I'm with the Eternal Champion on this one. Normil Hawaiians are dope and kinda sound like they are on it as well. I like that mellow bongo stuff. My brother did just say they sounded like Pink Floyd to him but that is what happens when your favorite band is AC/DC and your go to source for information is Spotify. He is also convinced that Jonesy's Jukebox is hosted by Johnny Rotten and argued with me about it until we got high and agreed all British people are basically the same and soccer no matter what you call it is gay as shit. I also think all sports, menthol cigarettes, heavy metal in all it's forms (except early Black Sabbath, Carcass & one album by Neurosis) is gay too. Also friendship, love, anime and every girl I have ever met. Small dogs too. I will leave the French alone this time they are okay. I am aware I am also gay. As gay as a giraffe honestly. But yeah the NH & their MWTM are pretty ungay. I would have been flabbergasted if you said you liked them. Please feel free to delete this over posting it or I demand a list of your gays in ordered response. Use bullets like '•' Jonny it is neater and I have regrets now. Just press and hold the 'alt' key down and hit the '7' key but on your keypad. 'Alt' + '3' is a heart and that is gay. But 'Alt' + '2' is blackface and that is pretty cool as nothing is better than delta blues honestly. 'Alt' + '1' is the most racist shit I have ever seen honestly and should have been '3' if not a double digit. That's how my keyboard works in America at least. Even my two cats hate me. If you are still reading this I am sorry but also you're welcome and thank you for this Jonny I will put with the others among all the love. ♥, ☻

Jonny Zchivago said...

♥♀€€úéá.....thats the best i can do with the ALT button....no black faced man, which is rather upsetting!