Friday, 8 September 2017

Joy Division - "Rainbow Theatre, London 09/11/1979" (Bootleg)


By the end of this tour, The Buzzcocks were, by now, aware that Joy Division were creating far too much of an impact for a support band.So,Rumour has it, the Buzzcocks road crew fixed the sound to be shite for Joy Division and vastly superior for the Buzzcocks for this two nighter in the capital.
I haven't got a recording of the Buzzcocks set, no-one was interested enough to record that one, so I can't contrast and compare;but it sounds ok to me.Just another element in the mythologizing of Joy Division. However, it is evident that The Buzzcocks were representative of a sound that was ,by 1979, very passé ,and Joy Division was the future, or, a future that never was.

Tracklist:

01. The Sound Of Music
02. Shadowplay
03. New Dawn Fades
04. Colony
05. Insight
06. Love Will Tear Us Apart
07. She's Lost Control
08. Transmission


1 comment:

Andy said...

Well I wasn't at the London gigs so I can't comment, but my memory of the Leicester show was that the Buzzcocks were much louder than Joy Division. Really, really, REALLY loud in fact. I remember talking about it at school the next day. I'd love to say I was cool and went to see Joy Division, but to be honest I was there to see the Buzzcocks. Oddly though, after all these years I can barely remember them. I still have a very clear memory of Ian Curtis though. He definitely wasn't cool. But he was memorable.