Wednesday 16 January 2019

Modern Art ‎– "Stereoland" (Color Disc ‎– Colors 3) 1987


Modern Art was basically Gary Ramon only on this platter from 1987.
A return to the Neo-Psychedelia of earlier cassette releases,reather than the cold wave synth pop that made up the majority of Modern Arts output up to 1985, when Midi and digital synths squeezed the humanity out of wave music. The only way to go was backwards to move forwards,and Ramon promptly formed The Sun Dial, to crank the Psychedelia up a notch or two.
This one is rammed,if ten tracks qualifies as such, with jangly indie-tinged psych pop with hints of Cleaners From Venus,but missing the expert melodiousness of said group.....only just however.
Scheesh!
I apologise,as my write-ups are becoming extremely boring of late.Kinda losing my mojo.Not sure I even like music anymore!? Which is basically dead anyway is it not? Whats the point of this tedious drooling nostalgia for a past thats long gone, in a world where music is disposable background toilet roll for charity adverts,and Joy Division are heard playing at the rear of a current affairs programme on TV....which is dead also.
Sorry again.....i think my world view has been stained by waking up at 4:30 am in a room full of smoke and my bed was on fire!...not joking. I had left my electric blanket on full and it had started smouldering,complete with glowing embers,scorching my lickle tootsies and my sheets and duvet!.....it still smells of acrid fumes in here! Another near death experience that should give me a renewed vigour for existence, but alas....not.Its just made me MORE pissed off....if thats possible?
Third apology....I am english after all.....well,in fact keep that quiet too.After watching several hours of UK TV with British Politicians arguing with each other about leaving a fucking free trade organisation.Not one mention was made of the effect this Brexit shite will have on the ordinary person....which may surprise you,but I include myself in the category of 'Ordinary'; and the difficulties that would arise for me and my family from the absurd Empire Nostalgia and pure bigotory that has arisen from the blocked toilets of the great unwasheds collective minds.
Fouth Apology....sorry if this narrative has affected your own happiness levels,but I had to liven up this post somehow.....anyway I enjoyed writing it.Call it therapy.

Tracklisting:

A1 Golden Legend 3:03
A2 The Great Exit 2:42
A3 Dynamite City 3:30
A4 Blue Stone 3:21
A5 Nowhere Parade 4:28
B1 The Crashing Sea 3:47
B2 Red Tornado 4:01
B3 Patterned Silence 3:52
B4 Martha In Stereo 1:59
B5 Peruvia 1:52


6 comments:

northfieldhat said...

This WAS indeed funny and interesting, although at your expense. There was a famous Made For TV movie in america starring Farrah Fawcett called "The Burning Bed", but that was about spousal abuse.

Speaking of which, a new podcast coming soon?

Jonny Zchivago said...

Oh, so its funny is it that I nearly burned to death in bed?.....well, yes it is actually......i'd get farrah to play me in the movie of the incident if she wasn't dead.life is a tighrope between two disaters.....birth and then death.

Yes, new Podcast coming in early Feb....we had a xmas holiday.

Fernfrequency said...

There sure as hell better be a drum machine on this one or I will kick my cat in the head! Just kidding... love the Color Disc compilation you have been kindly sharing with us music proles!!

Unknown said...

Jonny, love this blog. Love your rants as well.
Reminds me there’s a human behind all the great stuff you share

snoopy said...

It is my hope that you continue to make available all of this obscure and semi-obscure material, particularly to this american who grew up on Joy Division, The Cure, Siouxsie, Throbbing Gristle, etc., etc., etc., looking to recapture that youth, disaffected with the banal, discovering the "weird". What you do is noble.

Jonny Zchivago said...

Many thanks Snoopy.....i will continue as long as i'm allowed,and as long as i have stuff to post.