Sunday 10 March 2019

John the Postman's Psychedelic Rock 'N' Roll 5 Skinners ‎– "Steppin' Out (Of Holts Brewery)" (Bent Records ‎– big bent four) 1979



Well, he didn't give up his dayjob, and here's why.

"I think the Buzzcocks left the stage and the microphone was there and a little voice must have been calling 'This is your moment, Jon.' I've no idea to this day why I sang 'Louie Louie', the ultimate garage anthem from the 60s. And why I did it a cappella and changed all the lyrics apart from the actual chorus, I have no idea. I suppose it was my bid for immortality, one of those great bolts of inspiration.For some reason it appeared to go down rather well. I suppose it was taking the punk ethos to the extreme – anyone can have a go. Before punk it was like you had to have a double degree in music. It was a liberation for someone like me who was totally unmusical but wanted to have a go." (J T. Postman 2008)


Yes. punk the great leveller.
At first it was Ex-clusive, then it became In-clusive;then there are moments like this when we wished it was Ex-clusive again, or better still, didn't happen at all,as it seems to have not today.
The DIY ethic unhatched much buried genius,but also a lot of no-marks high on cheap weed left their skid-marks on this particular musical toilet. Should have been 'Keep It To Yourself' rather than 'Do It Yourself'. These same also-rans then learned to play an instrument and became The Exploited or a NWOBHM band.
The main thing Punk lacked was a Filter tip to keep the smoke pure;but we love a bit of tar don't we?
Never ask the Public anything or you'll get Heavy Metal ,Brexit or Trump.Beware the Hive mind.

Tracklisting:

A1 A Well Known Jewish Tune
A2 G.L.O.R.I.A.
B1 Senegal
B2 Mahatma Ghandi's Heartbreakers


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He did (sort of) give up his day job, as MES later recruited him to work (or maybe even run - I can't remember) the Cog Sinister office.

Another (slightly more hazily-remembered) FACT!