Wednesday 1 October 2014

The Leather Nun - "Live at the Scala Cinema London & Music Palais Kungsgaten 1980" (Industrial Records IRC27) 1980


A fine opportunity to post the live Leather Nun Cassette on Industrial records,as a transition from Guitar Noise to another bout of Industrial nonsense.Here it is, in newly edited and remastered in 320 kps mp3 format.....oh I do spoil y'all????
Cabaret Voltaire and Throbbing Gristle are Industrial Music, NOT, nine inch bleeding nails and shit like that!That's Adult Orientated Corporate Rock!The stuff your estate agent friend(why you should be friends with an estate agent I don't know?)puts on to appear 'cool' at his Fondue Soirée of an evening.
Somewhere between the two come the Leather Nun from Sweden. A rough and ready live set from 1980,Part one in the Scala cinema in London,the other in a place called Kungsgaten(?).
This tape is a fine argument in favour of Mono, as the superior sounding side is the live at the Music Palais in Kungsgatan, which was recorded in Mono. I've always been a believer that 'Rock' should be recorded monaurally, and this is the proof?
Fine sloppy, primitive Rock and Roll,performed for a crowd of Industrial fans/poseurs. The set includes at least two classics,,the almost three chord dirge that is “No Rule”, and the creeping monster ,”Slow Death”. Luckily we get two chances to hear these sub-rock masterpieces. 'Tis a pity that the Leather Nun were so shit later on, but, Hey-ho, it happens to most all of the groups in the pop fraternity doesn’t it? Doesn't change the fact that I wish I was there!
Interesting poster featuring what seems like an ISIS soldier, ready for "Nothing Short Of Total War"! Was this one of Orridge's psychick premonitions?

You can hear Throbbing Gristle's performance later that evening by clicking HERE! "Rock is for Arse-Lickers!",- never a truer word spoken methinks.
Recorded 2/29/80 binaural stereo and 11/30/79 mono.

TRACKLIST:

A1. Prime Mover 6:39
A2. I'm Alive 4:05
A3. No Rule 3:12
A4. Here Comes Life 4:20
A5. Varför svek du 5:57
A6. Ensam i natt 1:58
A7. Slow Death 3:50
B1. Slow Death 13:16
B2. Prime Mover 5:36
B3. I'm Alive 4:09
B4. No Rule 2:57
B5. Here Comes Life 4:21

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

please find IRC 28 never see on blog or whatever ...
nice post i think

from a fan readers

regards

rainier

Jonny Zchivago said...

Wow! many thanks for the missing part of the Scala evening. I'll do a review and post it next,maybe even edit it?
Much appreciated Rainier.
JZ

kingpossum said...

Fantastic industrial nonsense, that would be. Living in the US my introduction to the Leather Nun was Force of Habit which compiled tracks from about three albums previously released in the UK and Europe.

I found much more to enjoy doing the backstory, including this Scala show.

Regards and belated thanks for the Reynols stuff.

Micahel said...

Has Anyone ICRA and ICRB for share?
Never ever seen or heard it.
Pleeeese.

Jonny Zchivago said...

Nothing wrong with a bit of nonsense!

Nuzz Prowlin' Wolf said...

Nonsense Rocks....Gimme,Gimme, Gimme a man after midnight....Top post Johnny!

Jonny Zchivago said...

Nonsense Rock,a new genre methinks?Thank you nuzz.

Jonas A/Leather Nun said...

Nice post. Lost my cassette ages ago. Yep, Gen did the flyer. The Scala all-niter was recorded in binaural stereo, devised by Chris Carter of TG. A crazy nite with us, Monte and TG popping ProPlus caffeine pills by the handful. Anyway, a new LN album (viral, cd, vinyl) is out Spring -15. New songs but ol' school LN r'n'r. Dark, heavy, noisy, clubish.

Jonny Zchivago said...

Thanks for your comment Jonas.Like the fact nugget of popping caffine pills.Who needs cocaine? A real DIY solution if ever there was one?
I'll allow advertising in your case.
Cheers.

LWAA said...

That was a great concert. I still have that poster too

Jack J said...

I've just found your blog, and this is pretty fucking cool. Thanks for the mp3! I've never heard this tape before. I first discovered LEATHER NUN via a Jonas A interview on Danish radio in the early/mid 80s. I bought their live LP "Alive". I remember listening to a cassette tape (off said LP) in a London kitchen shortly before discovering the Scala cinema. Who wouldda thunk they recorded a live cassette album there!
PS: and good to see you're keeping the blog alive.

/Jack J

Jonny Zchivago said...

Welcome aboard Jack J.
The blog will stay alive as long as I do,unless I get Cancelled again...bur I'm fully backed up. There are a few of us from back in the day still churning it out.
I suppose I'm called an "Influencer" these days.....not sure about that title,but I hope I do.
JZ

Anonymous said...

Coffeine .. we were popping pills and snorting speed