Thursday 17 January 2019

Lives Of Angels ‎– "Alternative Programming" (Color Disc ‎– Color 17) 1987


Lives of Angels,husband and wife duo Gerald and Caterine O'Connell, were responsible for the first release on Color Tapes, back in '83;...so they took the intervening four years to 1987 to do another one. That being this 60 minute cassette, also on Color Tapes, called "Alternative Programming".
Husband and Wife endeavours are seldom a good idea, but for these two it seems to work,as well as being a bit quaint.It's in a similar style to the debut,a hybrid of jangly Doug Yule-era Velvets indie-psych and minimal synth-pop which is very effective neo-psych-lite for the fringe wearing student. Its an experience akin to playing a Yazoo record at the same time as Felt's "Crumbling The Antiseptic Beauty" album. The Dichotomy,however unlikely, seems to work as a softly psychedelic experience with lashings of naiveté dripped onto one tiny sugarlump.

Tracklisting:

A1 Expert System
A2 Heartland (remix)
A3 Green On Black
B1 Samba School 1
B2 Artificial Intelligence 3
B3 Samba School 2
B4 Ruby In The Dust


2 comments:

Zopo Eighties Reünie said...

Yes, this is very nice indeed. Crumbling the antiseptic beauty would be on no.1 if I had an album top ten. Btw welcome to the surviving sleeping in a burning bed club. I had the same experience when I was a kid. Forgot to unplug Electric blanket and half awoke because of nasty taste in my mouth. Went to my parents bedroom to tell them about not being able to sleep when they noticed the smokey smell of me. They ran into my bedroom and saw my bed already smoking. When they threw the blanket outside the window it caught fire straight away. My toe-nails were brown for more then 6 months. Groetjes Johan NL

Jonny Zchivago said...

Well,Good to know there are others out there who experienced the dark side of electric blankets, although I managed to escape the brown toe nail thing.