Thursday 25 January 2024

The Comes – "No Side" (City Rocker Records – DOG 2) 1983


One of the more annoying traits of post-punk hardcore records is when they get their artist mate to hand draw the album art. Usually it's a bunch of cartoon punx in denim and levver, but I dunno whats going on here? 
It could be a terrible tattoo art version of The Comes lead singer, the delightful Chitose.....(pronounced Shit'ouse? maybe?) crossed with Princess Diana....after the accident.
In real life Shit'ouse is a lot easier on the eye, and doesn't hold back in the ferocious vocals department.These are the things that display more than a passing resemblance to Melt Banana's less experimental moments.
The Lovely Shit'Ouse

I Phink I Wanna move to japan.
Talking of Shit Houses, In my charming council estate back in the UK, the really inbred family on my street used to have "Shit'ouse" daubed on the broken door of the toilet in dripping black gloss.These were the local representatives of the Underclass,and frequently decided to threaten me with violence,if only for the fact that i could actually stand up straight,rather than be trapped in a permanent state of scoliosis.That's genetics for ya.
Early Factory Records signing Kevin Hewick also grew up in the same area(Eyres Monsell,Leicester),and has just released a new Album on that very subject, called "Monsell Skyline"...it's great.  
Eyres Monsell,A hard, bleak, hopeless place....but I love it,in a stockholm Syndrome kind of way;and whilst drunk last Tuesday, i said i wanted my ashes to be scattered there.We are strange beasts us Humans innit?

Tracklist:


1 No Side
2 Case
3 Public Cicle
4 Wa-Ka-Me
5 さらけだせ
6 究極
7 バカコケ
8 人間狩り
9 Panic
10 工場
11 Medium


6 comments:

Sintra blogue said...

https://sintrabloguecintia.blogspot.com/

badgerstump said...

Bizarrely, I was born in Monsall in North Manchester, well in the local Hospital but apparently they made me go back (probably insisted, once they had checked the depth of my gene pool). A total shithole that wouldn't understand the concept of the underclass if it was added to their tramp stamps.

Great band and great cover (c'mon, you know we both would).

Jonny Zchivago said...

Yes badge, I would, oh god I would.

i was born in Monsell, south Leicester, in my mum and dad's bedroom. Dad was watching the Horses as I was draggedout,upstars, with the Forceps....which is why i dig Some Chicken's fake punk classic "Blood on the wall" so much.
No Hospitals on the Monsell mate.....yor posh.....there was a Prison however...Glen Parva Young Offenders Facility.

kosmikino said...

Jesus H. Japunk! 'The Comes' Now that takes me back to a brief period around 83-85 when my hardcore punk mate would do me endless compilations of Japanese bands like The Comes and GISM plus probably a dozen others I've forgotten. There was a similar buzz around Italian punk bands around the same time, I guess because the American punk scene became too well known among the hardcore cognoscenti here in the UK.
Wonderful cover, reminds me of the pencil drawings by one of my favourite artists Laurie Lipton.

Offtopic - Glen Parva! Now that gave me a shudder as I was due to be sent there for various youthful ALF shenanigans but maybe it was my age at the time or something & instead I got sent to Foston Hall Detention Centre which according to people who'd done time at both prisons, the latter was far worse, lucky me.

Jonny Zchivago said...

Ha! Yeah i also flirted with the ALF, thanks to all the contacts listed on Crass's 'Christ The Album', i rather churlishly liberated all the lab rats held captive by my school..I'm sure they all died pretty quickly when they met up with some real rats in the sewers. It was pretty obvious who done it....that punky one with the ALF badge.
Glen Parva had a bad rep in the 80's for Suicides i recall. It looked a bit grim from the outside. Built on an ex-army base for Leicester Tigers Regiment. Used to be able to walk round it for a year or so when the army left.

piotre said...

I think Chitouse pronunciation sounds like "kee-tow-seh". Hugs by pio3. Thanks fo this splendid blog mate