Wednesday 6 February 2019

Prick Decay & Thurston Moore ‎– "Electricity Vs Insects" (Chocolate Monk ‎– CHOC-070) 1996


Name dropping never harms record sales.So the inclusion of Alt Rock dinosaur, Moore of Sonic Youth, would have guaranteed this limited run of vinyl sold out, once those legions of lumberjack shirted and converse bedecked forty somethings got wind of this collaboration with Prick Decay.
He's 'Experimental' y'know is Thurston, and an avid obscuro music bore....rather like me I admit,but I ain't famous so fuck you. Nothing would delight him so as to align himself with DIY noise experimentalist Dylan Nyoukis aka Prick Decay, for a stimulating experiment-off.
This serves to further enhance Thurtons thirst for "I'm experimental me" credibility, and relaxes his fear of being the 'Corporate Rock Whore' (Cobain 1990-ish). Anyone who would sign a contract with David Geffen deserves to be labelled so.
It may not sound like it, but i do actually like Sonic Youths records up to about the cusp of the nineties, especially the first few, so I also giggled in expectation as to what this sounded like.
The news is, it sounds like a Prick Decay record.No signs of any 'experimental' tunings to be found?Was the legendary mr Moore even on this at all? If he appears not, then its a triumph of conceptual experimentation.I like it. Maybe I'll steal the idea for one of my own unreleased avant-garde 'I'm clever I am' noise workouts, and bill it as "Jonny Zchivago and Lydia Lunch do Lunch"......but really the lovely Lydia isn't on it......thats a goer I think.
Inspiration NOT appropriation.

Tracklisting

A1 Log Teeth
A2 Spirit Of Vulva
A3 Teeth Like Logs
B1 Slight Gut Wrenchings
B2 Hemoglobins Affinity
B3 Syrup Of Ipecac


1 comment:

Tim 'Space Debris' said...

I like me some Sonic Youth too but fuck Thurston can be embarrassing. Someone told me Moore was doing black metal recently which is hilarious and so fucking cringe-y. I like me some 80s/early 90s BM but...

Kim Gordon also quite embarrassing at times, particularly on a couple of podcasts where she was a guest. I've also seen Lee Ranaldo be quite a dick on youtube too. So well done Steve Shelley on becoming the coolest member of SY despite being the nerdy drummer. Thus proving trying so hard to be cool just doesn't work.