Monday 11 September 2023

Melvins – "A Tribute To The Scientists" ( Amphetamine Reptile Records – Scale 135) 2013


I know nothing of the Scientists except that they were Australian. Never heard them;but I'm guessing they are one of those Aussie bands who tried to become the Stooges, like Radio Birdmen (named after a misheard lyric to "TV Eye"). The Saints ,however wanted to be the Raw Power era Stooges, and i'm guessing Scientists did something equally Stooges inspired.
The Saints are one of my bestest favourite groops,so this formula can't be all bad,fermented by Australia's isolation from the rest of western civilisation.
I'm guessing that Scientists are now forgotten because unlike every other Aussie band that ever existed,they didn't move to London?
Didn't The Birthday Party do a song called "Swampland?...was that a version of this? Don't fucking know,and don't really care. But evidently Buzz duzz.I'm sure he could wax lyrical about how great The Scientists were at some depth.....and i would be nodding but not listening,thinking of excuses to check on that chicken I left in the oven.

Tracklist:

A- Set It On Fire
B- Swampland

3 comments:

Sandy Hook said...

Somewhat unexpected, but Birthday Party song is not cover of Scientists' song. As a trivia sidenote, Swampland was also covered in the 90s by Melvins' Amphetamine Reptiles label mates Vertigo. Scientists were not that much after Stooges, they sounded more like what would later become known as Paisley Underground.

Anonymous said...

The Scientists did actually move to London for a while IIRC.
Saw them live a few times "back then" and they were full-on fuzz aggro, very tasty.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I saw the Scientists at the De Montfort Hall supporting Siouxsie and the Banshees. Can't remember when - it was the tour Siouxsie did with her leg in plaster. I thought they were alright, but not enough to make me actually go out and buy one of their records. Perhaps I should have done, but money was tight back then. Bottom of the bill were Fur Bible, who were basically the Gun Club without Jeffrey Lee Pierce, and who weren't as bad as that sounds - guitarist Kid Kongo Powers later found fame as a Bad Seed, and bassist Patricia Morrison became a sister of mercy.
Happy days. Glad I don't have to do that again. Anyway, I'm rambling. Thanks for everything you do here.
Andy