Tuesday 25 April 2017

Bogshed ‎– "Let Them Eat Bogshed" (Vinyl Drip Records ‎– DRIP 2) 1985



Any record with a song called "Panties Please" on it has to be good right?
Bogshed's debut release on John Robb of the Membranes' Vinyl Drip records has six Bogshed classics of the same high standard achieved by all of their rather marvelous tunes.
The cover boasts a couple of typical drawings by Bassist Mike Bryson;who still churns out cartoons and caricatures to this day (check out his site here) ; but nothing surpasses the gravelly disjointed basslines he laid down with Bogshed. 
Such lo-fi but melodic eccentricity the like of which we'll probably never see again, Probably because they've been ignored from the second after they split up,30 years ago, in the face of massive public indifference.

Tracklist:

A1 Panties Please 3:27
A2 Spencer Travis 1:54
A3 Fat Lad Exam Failure 3:08

B1 Slave Girls 2:15
B2 City Girls 1:56
B3 Hand Me Down Father 4:00

DOWNLOAD your panties HERE!

5 comments:

Judas Vigilante said...

This rocks, Jonny. At first I heard the amazing bass player and I thought: I can see why Jonny Z likes this lot. Then I realised the vocal delivery. Intense and pretty mad, but on point etc. The I realised both the drummer and guitarist kick ass too. Please tell me these guys did loads of releases. These guys are f*cking excellent. For my sins I didn't start collecting music in a big way until early 90's, holy shit, I missed the best and preceeding decade. I wanna be 52, not 42!!! And have heard all this first time around. I imagine alot of the stuff you gracefully share is from artists no longer recording / together, or maybe some members have kicked the bucket. perhaps I assume wrong. Currently half way through 'Hand me down Father'. What a fantastic performance. Did you ever see them live? A big big bro hug sent your way. Cheers.

Judas Vigilante said...

According to Wikipedia Phil and Tris are passed on, about 10 years ago approx, though Mick records under the name Forkeyes. Will be checking that out.

Jonny Zchivago said...

Well Judas V, two of Bogshed are sadly no longer with us...i think i mentioned this on the demo's post?
The basslines/sound, are one of the bastard offspring of the great Jean Jacques Burnel ,who had an immense influence upon everyone in my generation and beyond.
Sad to say I never saw Bogshed Live.....a major oversight on my behalf.
A very limited number of releases i'm afraid,and never anything re-released on CD or iTunes either.....the time is ripe for a Bogshed Boxset.
Thanks for the hug, right back at you.
Cheers.

Unknown said...

Just found this groovy hip lp. I'm just spinning it for the first time. All I can say is freaking awesome. I was so hesitant on taking this. I loved the cover artwork on both sides. I'm so stoked listening to this bad mofo as I type. Heard side 2 first thinking it was 1. I thought 2 was good...but 1!! Dayummm 🎸🎸🎙🎙🥁🥁🤘😎

Unknown said...

Just finished this bad mo fo!! Raw baby raw!! 45 speed too...I wondered why at 33 it sluggish. So I said try 45 and bam!